Thursday, February 3, 2011

Feeling Low

The other day I did something that I try not to do very often. I prayed for humility. My prayer was answered. I felt low and that I understood that I cannot accomplish all that I need to alone. I need divine help.
As I was waiting for the bus I was listening to a conference talk by Bishop R. C. Edgley entiled "This Is Your Phone Call". It has to do with unemployment, which is the catogory that I fit into right now. It is a talk that I have listened to several times over, and have been moved by it, but not as much as I was while waiting for the bus this day. Near the end of his talk he references the comand of President Young to go and save those on the plains who were caught in the weather. I have felt like those pioneers.
In story upon story, the pioneers testify that angles assisted in pulling handcarts, and staying alive. I have not seen angles, but I have seen their influence. In helping me fill out another job application with a smile; helping my sons be patient when their mother has to go to work in the mornings; in being able to meet our financial obligations when there is no logical way that we could have. Now I feel that there is an army of Saints on its way to help me and my family finish our travel through this storm. I don't know who they all are, or their motivation, but my spirit is lifted in hope and excitement. I am also encouraged by the words that Bishop Edgley used in this begining of his talk: "The economic clouds that have long threatened the world are not fully upon us."
When I was serving in St. Louis Missouri I remember watching storm clouds quickly move across the sky, faster than they do here in Salt Lake, because there are no mountains to slow them down. They were dark, and had a powerful wind that led the charge. Powerful enough to knock over trees. And then the rains came. In a ten minute walk back to our apartment my companion and I were soaking wet to the bone. And then, then the miricle happened. The storm kept moving, it didn't stay. The dark storm clouds continue to move across the sky, and the sun warmed our faces.
Like the rain storm, I believe that these economic clouds will pass and I will feel the warmth of the sun on my face. I believe this because I know that the Son knows my name, and that he hears my prayers, my wifes prayers, my two year old son's prayers!
And without the rain from the clouds, our fruits and flowers couldn't grow. As frightening as a terrible storm may be, the long term effects usually spark new growth and life. I am grateful for my Father in Heaven who is taking care of me and my family!

If you have some time, I would encourage you to watch Bishop Edgley's talk.

No comments:

Thought Dump

How many often do you have some many thoughts going through your head, that you don't know how to pick just one to stop and consider? An...